The Library at Wah Medical College, a new purpose-built state-of-the-art facility has recently been added to the WMC campus. Situated in the basement of the college academic block, covering an area of 12500 ft2 and boasting a capacity of 25,000 books, it has an active seating capacity for 150 library users. The library serves a large and diverse population of health-care providers, professionals and students. Apart from books on medical and paramedical subjects it has a very good collection of non-medical books, audios, videos, CDs & 35mm slides, besides having access to the world’s best online resources including digital libraries and databases. The library boasts of a collection on all subjects and complementary journals related to medical science, general magazines & newspaper. These are supplemented by availability of photocopying and printing facilities. WMC Library is open for students, faculty and staff of college, from Monday to Saturday (ex cept public holidays) @ following timings:
- 08:00 am – 09:00 pm (Summer)
- 08:00 am – 07:00 pm (Winter)
Aims & Objectives:
The library at Wah Medical College plays a vital role in supporting the academicians and researchers by providing organized formal account of facts and information services. We utilize innovative approaches in working with students, faculty members and researchers to help them develop current technological and information literacy skills. Our vision is to support & contribute to a healthy society through the pursuit of education, learning and research. The aim of the library is the advancement of medical education by:
- Assuring access and linkage to global medical literature.
- Promoting effective utilization of medical information & knowledge, especially in the newer e-formats.
- Educating library users in the principles and techniques of information retrieval and management.
Currently, the library has about 4000 latest-edition hardcopy textbooks on all medical subjects which in addition to taught MBBS courses, ar e also for post-graduate and specialist-track study and research. Moreover, to improve reading habits of students, a balanced collection of books related to Arts, Social Sciences, Humanities and Religion in both Urdu and English language has also been developed. The ‘Reference Section’ has a good number of reference books including medical and non-medical dictionaries.
- Readership & Membership:
- All faculty, staff and students of Wah Medical College are eligible for membership, information regarding the details and rules for which may be accessed at the Librarians’ office.
- Registered Visitors to WMC may also access the library.
- Bar-coding and circulation of library material:
- All Library material has been bar-coded for easy cataloguing and an efficient computerized checkout system. It will give our book readers more autonomy in accessing information regarding book availability and retrieval/checkout options.
- Circulation facility is being provided to all readers. Currently, both computer and manual book-issuing is practiced.
- Around 450 to 500 books per month are actively circulated to all faculty members & students; the ratio of utilization being close to 1, our aim is to increase book circulation maximally in the future.
- Electronic resources and Subscriptions:
- There are 14 desktop computer kiosks with internet facility provided to the library users on first-come basis. The library has WIFI, for those who may wish to use their own web-based electronic devices.
- WMC Library showcases a large variety of periodicals, magazines, national and international medical and non-medical journals for library users.
- Enrollment with Higher Education Commission Pakistan for Digital Library Resources @ http://wwwdigitallibrary.edu.pk/wahmedcollege.html (internationally indexed medical journals are also available.)
- Subscription for 2 national newspapers and 1 general magazine.
- Realizing their need and importance, WMC Library has developed a fairly good collection of general and subject CDs, DVDs and 35mm slides.
- The Library is also providing photocopying and computer printing facilities to all students @ Rs.2/- per copy.
- Café and Sitting Areas:
- A small café area is provided in the library for all library users.
- There is also a small seating lounge near the reference section and a beautiful outside seating courtyard for a more relaxed study experience.
Message from the Librarian:
The library supports the academic programmes of WMC through collections, technology and services, which enable students and faculty to access recorded knowledge and information resources. In coming years, the Library at WMC will be delivering much more user-focused and technologically sophisticated services, designed to meet the contemporary information needs of students, faculty and staff. We strive to provide better services and facilities to support the WMC College.
Department Staff Details:
|Ms. Meher-un-Nisa||D. Librarian||B.I.L.S.|
|Ms. Ishrat Naz||D. Librarian||B.I.L.S.|
|Mr. Nadeem Iqbal||Documenter||B.A.|
|Mr. Nadir Ashraf||Lab. Attendant||Matriculation|
|Mr. Azmat Hussain||Naib Qasid||Matriculation|
|Mr. Shafqat Ali||Naib Qasid||Matriculation|