Behavioural Sciences is an important subject of MBBS curriculum. Both PMDC and UHS have recommended that its teaching should commence in second year and continue throughout the third year of MBBS course. Behavioural Sciences Examination comprising 200 marks is part of the Second Professional MBBS Examination by UHS.
Wah Medical College, as per recommendations of the PMDC and UHS, is following a schedule of teaching the subject in second and third years of undergraduate MBBS. The following teaching methodologies are employed:
- Case-based learning
- Ward learning/ Bedside learchning using real patients
The department also trains students in the art of communicating effectively and grounding clinical practice in ethical principles. The following skills are specifically taught to all students:
- Communication Skills
- Counseling skills
- Informational Care
- Breaking Bad News
- Medical Ethics
- Non-Pharmacological Interventions (NPIs)
- Psychosocial Assessment
Psychiatry Department of POF Hospital has in-patient facility for 20 male & 8 female patients in addition to out-patient facility (every Monday, Wednesday & Friday). Indoor capacity for admission of male patients can be extended to 26. It also provides emergency and liaisons services to the hospital. The nursing staff for male ward and OPD is provided by Army Medical Corps. Various forms of psychological interventions are also provided by the Clinical Psychologist.
Students are also counseled on voluntary & needs basis by drop-in method, since it is well understood that the desirable outcome is to have a well-rounded graduate medical doctor.
Aims & Objectives:
At the end of the content delivery for Behavioral Sciences and Psychiatry, the students will be able to:
- Use the Bio Psychosocial Model of health care for clinical practice.
- Communicate effectively with patients and families.
- Integrate knowledge of Behavioural sciences & Psychiatry with Medical sciences in clinical training and future practice.
- Learn highest standards of Medical Ethics.
- Use principles of Behavioural sciences & Psychiatry in enhancing their own learning, memory and motivation.
- Identify the psycho-social factors in clinical situations and integrate them in management.
Result of 2nd Professional examination for UHS:
The department holds the distinction of consistently giving out best results among all academic departments affiliated with Wah Medical College.
Year 2013 100%
Year 2012 100%
Year 2011 79%
Year 2010 98%
Year 2009 91%
Year 2008 96%
Year 2007 100%